Oculus started this virtual reality concept technology and I remembered one set of VR gear is at least $500 and above. This excludes the cost of buying a beast PC that is capable of supporting VR technology. It looks like Samsung and Google have taken this idea and turned it into an affordable technology.
Samsung’s VR gear is around $350 ++ which is quite costly. Google has released it’s cardboard variants which is extremely affordable. I have tested the Google’s VR version 1 and I found it to be pretty impressive. However, there were some aspects of the Google’s VR which is slightly disappointing.The cardboard is really weak and flimsy. Within the first day of use, the part where the velcro is supposed to be, ends up being ripped apart. Subsequently, the cardboard starts to bend at the areas where you have to open up to insert your phone
1. The cardboard is really weak and flimsy. Within the first day of use, the part where the velcro is supposed to be, ends up being ripped apart. Subsequently, the cardboard starts to bend at the areas where you have to open up to insert your phone
2. The sweat from the forehead stains the device and you end up getting an unsightly smudge on the Google Cardboard. However, the version 2 will not have this issue, as they used some oil coating on the cardboard.
3. Comfort level is really terrible. It feels really uncomfortable with the cardboard sitting on your nose. However, there is room for self-improvisation on the nose area if you wish to cover the area with some cloth and stick it on with double sided tape.
4. The lens are not perfect. There will be parts of the image looking less sharp as it uses convex and concave lens concept to achieve the outcome. The resultant image will feel like a person with farsightedness. However, new releases of the Google lens should solve this issue.
5. The magnetic control switch works, but not perfect. If you flick it too aggressively, the magnet might fall off. The version 2 comes with a tap switch instead.
My conclusion that this Google Cardboard is still a very interesting gadget that allows the less privileged to enjoy the technological advancements.
Given enough time, market forces will start to produce tons of alternatives which will cost a lot less. In fact we can see some of the affordable VRs now.
BOBO VR Gear